Warning: include() [function.include]: http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 24

Warning: include(http://www.greenpinstripes.com/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 24

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.greenpinstripes.com/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.3.27/share/pear') in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 24
Mar
2009

Happenings In Jets Land

I've been a bit lax in my Jets coverage (forgive me), but that doesn't mean the team has been quiet.  Let's do a quick rundown on what's been going on in the land of Green.

Getting more defensive depth.  The Jets have been very active in picking up defensive players this offseason and they landed another defender on March 25, signing cornerback Donald Strickland to a reported three-year deal.  Strickland has spent the past three seasons with the San Francisco 49ers and finished with 23 tackles and five passes defensed in 13 games last year as the team's nickel back.  Strickland is a six-year pro and also played for the Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles.  The move to grab Strickland came after cornerback Corey Ivy signed with the Cleveland Browns on March 19.  The Jets were in hot pursuit of the former Baltimore Raven, but he decided to become a member of the Dawg Pound.  The Jets also brought in former Raven Samari Rolle for a visit.  No word if Rolle is still on the team's radar.

Draft notes.  I'm not a draft guru by any means, but I would be shocked if the Jets select a quarterback with their first pick.  I've seen a few mock drafts that have USC quarterback Mark Sanchez or Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman going to the Green and White at No. 17.  I don't see it happening.  I don't think Sanchez will fall that far and I don't think the Jets would be wise to choose Freeman if he's available.  The Jets already have three young QBs -- what are they supposed to do with another one?  Doesn't make sense to me.  With Thomas Jones wanting to rework his contract and Leon Washington in the final year of his, I think the Jets will shoot for a running back at No. 17.  Jets Confidential had a superb breakdown of the top players in this year's draft and their top 3 running backs are Georgia's Knowshon Moreno, Ohio State's Chris "Beanie" Wells and Pittsburgh's LeSean McCoy.  The Jets also need help at the wide receiver position and JC lists Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree at the top (surprise, surprise), followed by Jeremy Maclin from Missouri and Florida's Percy Harvin.  All three will likely be gone by the time the Jets hit the clock, but ya never know.  Things can get wacky during the NFL draft.

Escape from New Jersey.  This was supposed to be the first full-year for the Jets at their brand-new training complex in Florham Park, N.J.  Well, it looks like that's not gonna happen.  Rex Ryan wants to take the team to an "isolated environment" in order to prepare for the regular season.  Unless Ryan plans on taking the Jets to Siberia, I'm not sure how secluded he thinks it will get.  The media will follow the team no matter where they decide to hold training camp.  Possible destinations include Cornell, in Ithaca, N.Y., and SUNY Cortland, in Cortland, N.Y.  The only people that will be isolated are the Jersey fans who were looking forward to watching the guys in green this summer.  Not only will the Jets not train in Jersey, but their new complex in Florham Park doesn't have dorms for the players or bleachers around the five fields for fans to watch practice.  Unacceptable.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head.

Warning: include() [function.include]: http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 70

Warning: include(http://www.greenpinstripes.com/newmiddle.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 70

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.greenpinstripes.com/newmiddle.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.3.27/share/pear') in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 70

8 Comments
[March 31, 2009 6:41 AM]  |  link  |  Reply
Phil said

Is Rex Ryan putting them in the witness protection program? 'Esus...

[March 31, 2009 9:57 AM]  |  link  |  Reply
Mike said

Just doesn't make sense ...

[April 3, 2009 8:14 PM]  |  link  |  Reply
Phil said

How do you feel about Cutler going to the Bears?

[April 4, 2009 9:31 AM]  |  link  |  Reply
Mike said

I'm glad. I'm glad the Jets tried. And I'm glad the Jets failed. Cutler is very talented -- leave it at that. I think his attitude would have caused him to self-destruct in New York. I also don't think the Broncos wanted to trade him to an AFC team.

[April 17, 2009 1:11 PM]  |  link  |  Reply
Bruce Paine said

I really don't see why the Jets would want to go for QB in this particular draft. This draft is deep in wideout and offensive tackle talent, both position where thye have clear need. Not only that, but the Jets (with all due respect) are going to be drafting high enough next year that they will have a shot, if not at Bradford, at McCoy, Snead, Tebow, or even Clausen if he makes a leap equal to the one he made last season.

[April 17, 2009 2:15 PM]  |  link  |  Reply
Mike said

If the Jets draft a QB in the first round then it will prove that they don't believe in any of the guys they have on their roster. I'm leaning more and more for the Jets to take a running back with their first pick. And I don't think the Jets will be that horrible in '09 that they'll be drafting in the Top 10 next year (I hope).

[April 18, 2009 1:14 AM]  |  link  |  Reply
Bruce Paine said

I can totally see running back. They are sitting there at 17, nobody has really freaked over Beanie Wells like they did during the NCAA season. His body of work speaks for itself, though. If he falls past the Saints, and he may not, he would be an excellent compliment for Jones (who is probably on the way out as it is) in the red zone and be that change of pace back that everybody wants so badly. If Wells isn't there, I would have a hard time deciding between a guy like Moreno and Michael Oher who may very well be there at 17. if you are going to commit to the run game, that would be a tougher decision for me.

[April 20, 2009 10:32 AM]  |  link  |  Reply
Mike said

TJ is also upset with this contract and has been a no-show at the team's offseason workouts. And the Jets have been lucky that TJ and Leon Washington haven't gotten injured in the past two years. They have zero depth at running back. Again, if I had the power (and I don't) I'd go running back in the first round.

Warning: include() [function.include]: http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 500

Warning: include(http://www.greenpinstripes.com/newright.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 500

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.greenpinstripes.com/newright.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.3.27/share/pear') in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 500

Warning: include() [function.include]: http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 515

Warning: include(http://www.greenpinstripes.com/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 515

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.greenpinstripes.com/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.3.27/share/pear') in /nfs/c01/h09/mnt/13075/domains/greenpinstripes.com/html/2009/03/happenings_in_jets_land.php on line 515